Monday, November 21, 2011

Book Review: Firelight by Sophie Jordan

Firelight (Firelight, #1)Firelight by Sophie Jordan

My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I read this book earlier this year in April.  I loved it so much that I gave it to my daughter to read, and she loved it too.  I recently got book 2 for her from the library (which she devoured in a day) and, upon her recommendation, re-read book 1 before starting book 2.  Not that the reader needs a refresher for book 2, but because book 1 is  just so amazing.  Now, I normally don't like to re-read books, especially not when I've read it so recently and have such a long list of to-be-read books already, but I'm so glad I did!

Sophie Jordan is an amazing storyteller.  The tension she created between Jace and Will is swoon worthy.  Jace's own confusion regarding her feelings (what they mean for her and what she's willing to do for them) leaves the reader anxious to find out what happens next.  And the world of dragons and hunters she introduced is fascinating - ancient and mysterious yet so believable as to seem real.

Every decision Jace makes has consequences, some good, some bad, some really bad.  The decision to break a rule and fly in the morning sky starts the action in this story.  It acts as a snowball released at the top of a mountain, gaining volume and velocity as it speeds down, causing an avalanche with truly devastating effects.  I loved the cliffhanger at the end of book 1.  It left me heartbroken, hopeful, and anxious to read more.  I'm so glad I have book 2 (Vanish) to start right away, as I'm looking forward to learning more about the world of dragons and what Jace's decisions mean for the pride.  But my daughter says Vanish's ending will have me dying to get my hands on book 3 (Hidden), which Sophie just finished revising but won't be available until next year sometime.  She also claims Vanish will have me changing teams, but I'm devoted to Will.  I mean, he made her breakfast!  We shall see...

View all my reviews

4 comments:

  1. I loved Firelight and can't wait to read Vanish after the ending. Lucky you to have it. Enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I am very lucky! My library is good to me and often purchases the books I request. My only regret is I don't have an advanced reader's copy of Hidden (Book #3) so I'll have to wait on that one like everyone else. Thanks for the comment!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love her as a protagonist. I'm rooting for her all the way, no matter who she ends up with. She's strong and it almost feels rare that we have a strong female protagonist from the get go. I love reading about girls growing up and into themselves and becoming strong and confident, but I also love reading about girls who are strong to begin with. Vanish is a nice change, that's all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! It is rare for the female protag to be strong right off the bat, and if there is anything Jace isn't, it's weak. Harper Teen has a date of Sept 11, 2012 for release of the 3rd and final book in the series, Hidden. I just checked and it's already up on Amazon for preorder. This is one series I will gladly own and reread multiple times.

      Delete